To Think About

If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily. ~Gerald Good

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Family

I have a wonderful family. 
Playing Trivial Pursuit until late and being teased by my children for not having any pie pieces for a very long is a special feeling.


Having a brother in law who can call me late in the afternoon and ask if I have a spare bed for even later that night reminds me that people can count on me when they need to.


And having my 82 year old father Skype me in the morning to 'see if he can' when mum was in the shower tells me that I have taught him something new which is useful to him.


I often reflect on how lucky I am to have such wonderful people in my life. Over the last few years when I've been consciously acknowledging the positives in each day, I've done a rough estimate to calculate that people make up about 80% of what I have to be thankful for (bad grammar to end in a preposition but there you have it). I've been in the midst of a pretty quiet holiday at the moment and many days I've hardly seen a soul but once I'm back at work I often consider how special people are to me.


I have a small family - parents still, one sister, her husband and my two nieces, and my own two children. Thats pretty much it. No aunties or uncles, no cousins and now no husband. A great father in law but really that's it. So they really are IMPORTANT and SPECIAL.


I know that when the shit has really hit the fan for me, these are the people on whom I can rely every time. I hope they know how treasured they are.

1 comment:

  1. teach your father one more thing: to blog and follow yours!

    ReplyDelete