To Think About

If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily. ~Gerald Good

Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's Noise Got To Do With It?

Have you ever noticed the noise we live with every day? There's the good stuff like birds tweeting and rain on the roof, there's the not so close traffic noises and then right around us there's the constant sound of living - for me it's mostly talking and sounds associated with technology - TV, XBox, music and keyboard tapping. Plus often the annoying yapping of the two small dogs who live next door. And finally there's the sounds in my own head - me talking to myself I suppose or like now me saying the words in my head as I type them (tell me someone else does this?)


Today I had the joy of silence. Home alone with just the sleepy Maggie, tired after our morning walk. Sunday morning and no traffic sounds, strangely no little dog noises and most special, my head was quiet. I swear there wasn't a single solitary thought going around in there. What a gift!


Don't get me wrong - I love people and I love this modern world, but silence, real silence is such a rare thing, for me it is to be savoured and treasured.


I wonder when I will experiece it next ?

“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” — Thornton Wilder

1 comment:

  1. yes, I will give you a ditto about the 'speaking my words before I type them' habit.

    ReplyDelete